Page Section: Centre Content Column

Other useful contacts

When the complaint or parts of the complaint are not about the way a health or a disability service was provided, you may find one of the following avenues helpful.

For information about complaints resolution services go to

If you need legal advice
The Local Community Law Centre
(free legal advice to start)
(or look in the telephone book or ask your local Citizens' Advice Bureau)

If it is about your personal health records
The Privacy Commissioner
Freephone: 0800 803 909

If it is about ACC entitlements or services
Freephone 0800 650 222

If it is a problem with banking or insurance
Banking Ombudsman
Freephone: 0800 261 801

If it is about housing or tenancy
Tenancy Services
Freephone: 0800 836 262

It if is about restrictive trade practices
The Commerce Commission
Free-phone: 0800 94 3600

If it is about lawyers
Law Society
Freephone: 0800 261 801

If it is about immigration
NZ Immigration 
Freephone: 0508 558 855 

If it is about children
Commissioner for Children
Free-phone: 0800 22 44 53

If it is about shoddy work, defective goods, inadequate services, unreasonable charges for services, or damage to property
Consumer Protection
Freephone: 0508 426 678

Disputes Tribunal

If it is about employment relations
Employment NZ
Freephone: 0800 20 90 20

If it is about Health and Safety
Worksafe NZ
Freephone: 0800 030 040

If it is about police behaviour
Independent Police Conduct Authority
Freephone: 0800 503-728

If it is about benefits or income
Work and Income
Free-phone: 0800 559 009

If it is about race issues or discrimination
Human Rights Commission
Free-phone: 0800 496 877

If it is about dental fees
Dental Association
Ph: 09 524 2778

Dental Council
Ph: 04 499 4820

If it is about medical fees
Medical Council
Free-phone: 0800 286 801

If you have complained about a public service or government agency and are unhappy with the response you can ask the Ombudsmen to look into the matter.
Free-phone 0800 802 602

If you want other contact details or general information on where to start, contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau. Their contact details will be in your telephone book or on their website:

Page Section: Right Content Column